Tuesday, June 19, 2012

bookworm

This post goes out to all my fellow nerdybirds in the blogosphere who love to read. I've recently discovered the site Good Reads, and I'm obsessed. I can spend hours on there reading reviews and adding to my "must read" list. The site has synopsis information, critic reviews, and real people reviews. Plus, if you have "friends" on the site, you can follow what your friends are reading and find out about their likes and dislikes. Sadly, as much as I love doing research on the site, I have virtually no friends right now. If any of you enjoy reading and decide to create a profile, please add me as a friend so we can bounce book ideas off one another. Right now, my books are mostly just a list of what I've read and what I want to read, but I plan to start leaving more detailed reviews in the future as I finish each book.

I just finished:

As a girl who lists Cold Sassy Tree, The Help, and To Kill a Mockingbird at the top of her favorites, I adored this book. There were times I laughed and times I wanted to cry. Such a good Southern novel, and after so much light reading lately, it was good to read a book with some substance. Highly recommend!
Crooked Letter, Crooked LetterCrooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Must-read for anyone who loves Southern fiction! Happy, sad, funny, heart-warming!



View all my reviews



Now from a Southern novel to.....
Yes, save your judgment for somewhere else. Despite all of my skepticism, I just started reading "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter". Yeah, I'm a little embarrassed...but I do have to admit that the author wastes no time grabbing your attention. You see, several coworkers have told me how good this book is, but I never thought I'd actually read it. In fact, I made several jokes about how dumb the title sounded and how silly the book must be. And don't even get me started on the movie. Then, Mr. M had to go and bring this home from Barnes and Noble. I think in the beginning even he was reading it as a joke...but then something unexpected happened. He actually really liked it and wouldn't stop talking about it. So I gave in to curiosity, thinking that if this was a novel that Mr. M would actually read (he primarily only reads humor books- think Tucker Maxx's I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell) then it MUST be decent. So there- I said it. I'm reading the dumb Abe Lincoln vampire book that everyone makes fun of. I'll let you know how it turns out.

And on my "to-read" list very soon:

What are you guys reading? Have you come across something you love? Or something you hate?

2 comments:

Candace said...

I've been on Good Reads a while, and I go through phases where I log on - I will add you.

I loved Crooked Letter too!! It was a wonderful southern novel, and fun fact - the author consulted the sheriff or someone like that from Clarke County Alabama to help her with the police terms.

As for Abe Lincoln - I'm game to give it a shot. And as for Crossed, I'm currently reading Matched, so I hope to get to that one soon!

Can't wait to see you and hang out! We can chat books, concerts, vacations, and life. Miss your face!

Mallory said...

Candace, another fun fact--I am from Clarke County, AL!